[Geysers] Fire Information

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Aug 14 17:13:24 PDT 2007

In a message dated 8/14/2007 11:52:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
cross at bmi.net writes:

Here's a  little more fire information.  The link just below (the same as I
gave  earlier) shows all of the fires in YNP.  It refers to Columbine  (close
to OF) which is now out and Columbine 1 which is on the east side of  the
lake almost due east of West Thumb.  It's shown more than 5 miles  south of
the east entrance road, so I assume that the road was closed for  logistical
reasons.

Fire info as of Tuesday afternoon. The East Entrance road was closed all  day
yesterday as the fire had burned quite close to the roadway and was less
than three miles from the entrance station. The road reopened today. This
afternoon I heard that the housing there had been evacuated, but the road was  still
open. However, too, this afternoon the wind came up and things might well
have changed.

That fire IS Columbine 2, and that is the name that has now  appeared for two
days in Montana newspapers and is being used verbally  by rangers... As for
the fire map, I certainly would not trust it, if for no  reason other than it
appears to show nothing more than the point of origin of a  fire and does not
represent how far and how much it has burned. As well as  clearly being
incomplete and, I feel, inaccurate. Columbine 2 is now over  12,000 acres.

Scott Bryan

By the way, it is extremely smoky here in West this evening -- the
surrounding mountains to the northwest and north are completely shrouded, the
Lionsheads to the west are barely visible.