[Geysers] Fan & Mortar 8/7 19:06

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 19:17:18 PDT 2007

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE, INCLUDING PUBLICATION IN THE SPUT.

Fan & Mortar erupted today (8/7/07) at 19:06.
Thanks to Dean Lohrenz for most of the following data and the calls.  (He had gathered about two dozen visitors and Bruce and Nicolas Jensen during the events leading up to the eruption.)

Dean arrived at Fan & Mortar at 18:00.  At that time Bottom Vent was in full eruption and there was splashing in Main Vent.  River Vent was off.  Bottom Vent had periodic eruptions, and Main Vent continued to splash until River Vent turned on at 18:20.  Main Vent continued to splash while River Vent was on.  River Vent turned off at 18:29.  from 18:29 through 18:51 Bottom Vent again had periodic eruptions and Main Vent continued to splash.

River vent turned on at 18:51.  The other Fan vents turned on at 18:52, with Angle turning on before High and Gold.

About this time I arrived at Lower Ham's to refresh the water bottle on my bike.  I was just getting back from Great Fountain, so had to use the facilities at the gas station.  As I exited the bathroom, I heard that water levels were looking good at 5 minutes, so I decided to get some exercise, and hopped on the bike.

Just about the time I got to Castle, I heard Dean say, "Any one who's in the vicinity of Fan & Mortar should boogie on down," so I started pedaling on the downhill.  The visitors on the Castle walk were returning to Castle on the pavement, and were spread across the pavement, so I started saying "Excuse me" as I pedaled toward them.  About the time I got to Orange Spring, I head Dean say, "In my experience, Fan & Mortar are in a lock," so I actually shifted a gear to pedal harder.  I arrived at the bridge with just enough time to hop off the bike, place it against the rail, and watch East Vent explode, sending enough water across the path to leave a puddle about 30 feet beyond the gravel.  Dean's excitement and screams of "Fan & Mortar 1-9-0-6" had the entire crowd jumping up and down.  Duration of the water--30 minutes.

On another note, I saw a "quick comeback" major eruption of Atomizer today.  As Dean said, there was a double dual--Atomizer had a minor during Artemisia's eruption and then also had the major during Artemisia's eruption.

Lynn Stephens