[Geysers] Question about Yellowstone (history) Books

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 17:21:07 PDT 2007

In a message dated 8/6/2007 6:08:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
HavinsNest at swbell.net writes:

What I'm  looking for is something that explains/tells when the Bunsen Peak
Road became  a trail instead of a road, when the Grand Loop Road stopped going
directly  past Morning Glory Pool, that sort of thing. (I understand the "why"
I am  really interested in the when and how did they decide, etc).

The road through the Upper Basin, past Morning Glory, was closed in 1971.
The why is simple to anybody who experience the horrendous traffic jams on the
two-way road when, for example, Castle was in eruption. Not to mention Old
Faithful. The road past Daisy, on to Black Sand Basin and then back to the Lower
 Store area was closed at the same time. I remember many times in 1970 when I
 drove that in order to avoid the main road traffic.

Discussion of road reroutings to eliminate the Old Faithful interchange  have
been around since at least the late 1970s, and plans on paper have appeared
several times. I've got a feeling that it will be a long time before anything
happens to that situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 1971 was also the year when the road
through, rather than up and around, Potts Basin was closed, the road through
Lake, and so on. (?)