[Geysers] Giant 04:40:08 8/4/07

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Mon Aug 6 20:54:25 PDT 2007

I figured there were nearly 25 people who saw the start of the 4:40 AM
eruption of Giant on the 4th.  Maybe it was 23 - I  sorta lost count.  At
least five showed up to see it a few minutes before Mastiff started.

But. is this a record for ANY geyser erupting between, say, 3 and 5 AM?  I
don't think there were that many for the Steamboat sits in the 60s (okay,
maybe that many came over from the campground when they heard it - that's
not the same thing.)  And the "Water in Main Vent" calls for F&M in the
period 2001-2005 may have gotten five to ten people down.  But wow.. That
many gazers waiting for Giant at that hour?  And Ralph Friz driving from
West and got there?  I have to say - I was impressed.

Question - does anyone know when the road to West Thumb finally opened on
Sunday afternoon?  A very bad accident took place only a mile or so past
Kepler Cascades, shutting the road completely.  We ended up deciding to not
wait and went the long way around and out the East entrance.  I hope the
people in the accident are okay - it sounded very bad on the radio.

Paul Strasser

  _____