[Geysers] Geyser report April 20

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 15:55:32 PDT 2007

And away we go! Yesterday's snow was decidedly a West Yellowstone event.
Although there were 3 1/2 inches on the ground here at the house, within a mile
inside the gate it was barely a dusting. The road was bare and mostly dry all
the way to Old Faithful, where there was about one inch of snow on the
boardwalks, none on the pavement.

For many of you, I'm sorry to report that at Beehive the West Bubblers were
bubbling, the C-C Indicator was bubbling -- and Beehive's Indicator was near
(but a bit below) overflow and orange with bacteria. I looked at Beehive a
number of times and never saw the slightest sign of a splash.

Plume was recorded as (I think) 0818, then I got it at 0945, 1123 and  1302.

Lion initial at 0919ie and 1105.

At 1111 I found that Aurum had "just" erupted.

Grand had been at 0505E, then six gazers and a few others caught it at 1312
(T1Q).

At about 0945, Oblong was filling, near overflow after an eruption, and  then
was 1240ie.

The time of an early Daisy is not known, but there was no eruption from  0930
until it went at 1247.

Grotto was in marathon. It had probably started somewhere in the 0600-0700
range, as Variable Spring was noticably down by 0945. Bijou was thoroughly off
before noon. There was a Giant hot period at 1050ie; the runoff covered about
 1/3 of India.

Riverside was 1034.

The marker is in place at Fan & Mortar.

At Biscuit Basin, the water in Black Diamond is murky gray-green, clear
enough to see that orange bacteria extends well down into the crater. The new
thing near the boardwalk is filled with dark orange-brown bacteria. And
definitely drop the name "Salt and Pepper", as today both vents were very active  and
completely clear. Somehow, I don't think "Sand and Salt" quite works.

The Siver Globes are _dead_. Never in all my years have I not seen the  round
pool next to the vent of Slit Geyser. Today it was bone dry.

Polly Panos said she saw Fountain (she thought) in eruption shortly before
0900. As of 1500, it appeared to have erupted maybe around 1400.

More tomorrow.