[Geysers] Palette Spring at Mammoth

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 21:09:01 PDT 2007

I was up at Palette Spring this afternoon.  The water is coming out to the left and right of where it used to, and there are several abandoned channels that had only been formed last year.  The water from the left side is probably what you are seeing on the webcam between Liberty Cap and Devil's Thumb, blown a little sideways, perhaps.  Another thing to consider lately, when judging steam, it had been fairly warm, but the past couple of days have cooled off, and we got a couple inches of snow here in Mammoth.

  For anyone planning on coming for opening weekend, be prepared for winter driving conditions!  Also, I know of at least one past opening weekend, that NPS decided to close the park down the in the afternoon on opening day, because they pulled so many people out of ditches.

  Karen Low

Janet Chapple <jochapple at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Could someone please tell me what's been happening at Palette Spring
lately? I see on the Mammoth Webcam that there's a lot of color and
steam between Devil's Thumb and Liberty Cap, as well as above Devil's
Thumb where I saw it last year?

Thanks,
Janet Chapple