[Geysers] Geyser report September 8

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 15:27:29 PDT 2006

Not a whole lot of excitement today. No doubt the biggest news is that the
Grotto marathon that started yesterday at 0952 was still going as of 1207 today
 -- 26+ hours and showing no signes of quitting. This would seem to set Giant
up  for a likely middle-of-the-night recovery (though at only 4 1/2 days).

Yesterday Grand was at 0108E, 1003 (T2*Q), and 1647 (T2Q). I unfortunately
never heard an electronic time for the overnight, but this morning Grand was at
 0642 (2 bursts).

Beehive had a short interval, 20h 56m. The eruption started 7 minutes after
the time when the Indicator was seen i.e.

We sincerely hope Plume erupted between the sightings of 0725 and 1133, but
nobody seemed to have seen it.

I caught a single Daisy interval, 3h 07m.

In the Lower Basin, I got the start of Pink Cone on the drive in, at  0651

On the drive out, I overheard on the radio that Fountain had started at  1158
and had a duration of 35 minutes.

Narcissus was at 1258 and was a long duration eruption (d > 11  min).

For some other news, the word is out that the demolition of the old OFVC
will begin on Monday, September 18. It will be done in-house, by NPS maintenance
crews. This will eliminate one big expense from the new OFVEC cost. Even
before  then, at the end of next week, NPS people will meet with the architect to
"tweak" the new building plan so as to further reduce costs. And then,
hopefully  still "before the snow flies," the project will again go to bid.