[Geysers] More on Weekend geyser report for 10/28 & 29

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sun Oct 29 23:11:41 PST 2006

I might add that the weather was spectacular for this time of year -
essentially cloudless both days and highs about 50.  Some modest wind that
apparently grew stronger after noon on Sunday did little to detract from the
overall great weather.

It wouldn't surprise me if some folks decided to bag a trip to the park once
they heard that Giant had erupted (we found out en route, 90 minutes after
we could get our money back on the motel in Dubois, so we figured what the
heck.)  But I tell you, it is utterly wonderful and different to be in the
park when it is so empty.  On Sunday the ONLY people we saw in the basin
were the 4 gazers and Kelli, the naturalist.  That was it.  Saturday was a
bit more crowded, like maybe 10 at Grand.

The most impressive thing about the non-crowds is the silence.  Old Faithful
is extraordinarily loud all by itself - and for some reason it's noisier in
the daylight in late Oct than the middle of the night in July.  The wee
bubblers at Beehive are noisy, even Sawmill is quite noisy from Beehive!

The second most impressive thing is the sun angle.  It's so low that it's
like 6 PM light all day long, with odd shadows at Grand (nice rainbows, even
at midday), and the shadow of Giant's cone falling into Mastiff.  The light
makes everything seem more vivid.

We cannot come closing weekend, but wish that those who do make it enjoy
equally great weather.

A few other geyser notes.  The water in Giant's platform was very high,
almost to "April" heights.  The hot period we did see came after Bijou
pauses in which the water in Mastiff was easily visible to me on several
occasions.  But the hot period itself was pretty measly.  No big deal, and
one data point 22 hours after an eruption is pretty meaningless.

Also, the water level at the Paint Pots was quite high, with "red spouter" -
the area behind "A Fumarole" - splashing beautiful terra-cotta colored
water.

BTW, I'm pretty convinced that the tallest predictable geyser in the world
is Old Faithful, not Grand.  At least this year.  Lordy, the two eruptions
we saw on Sunday of OF were immense, much taller than the Grands we saw this
weekend.

Enjoy closing weekend!

Paul Strasser