[Geysers] history of Yellowstone hot spot

Lisa Morgan lmorgan at usgs.gov
Thu Oct 19 09:01:14 PDT 2006

No--the first to postulate that Yellowstone was part of a hot spot track
was Jason Morgan (1972) in his classic paper where he compiled an inventory
of hot spots around the world (W.J. Morgan, 1972, Plate motions and deep
mantle convection:  Geological Society of America Memoir 132, p.
7-22).  This was followed by another classic paper by Armstrong, Leeman,
and Malde, 1975, K-Ar dating, Quaternary and Neogene volcanic rocks of the
Snake River Plain, Idaho:  American Journal of Science, v. 275, p. 225-251.

I should also note that there is considerable debate as to whether
Yellowstone is the product of a hot spot and many prominent researchers
have argued it is not.  Their papers include:

Christiansen, R.L., Foulger, G.R., Evans, J.R., 2002. Upper mantle origin
of the Yellowstone hotspot.  GSA Bulletin 114, 1245-1256.

Humphreys, E.D., Dueker, K.G., Schutt, D.L., Smith, R.B., 2000. Beneath
Yellowstone: Evaluating plume and nonplume models using teleseismic images
of the upper Mantle.  GSA Today, 10, p. 1-6.

I suggested Pierce and Morgan, 1990, 1992 as a reference in that it
contains a good discussion of the problem and the pros and cons of a hot
spot origin for the Snake River Plain--Yellowstone volcanic province.

A couple other excellent papers on this subject are:

Anders, M.H., Geissman, J.W., Piety, L.A., Sullivan, J.T., 1989. Parabolic
distribution of circum-eastern Snake River Plain seismicity and latest
Quaternary faulting:  Migratory pattern and association with the
Yellowstone hotspot.  Journal of Geophysical Research 94, 1589-1621.

Camp, V.E., 1995. Mid-Miocene propagation of the Yellowstone mantle plume
head beneath the Columbia River Basalt source region.  Geology 23, 435-438.

At 06:33 PM 10/17/2006, Randall Marrett wrote:
>I believe the first paper was by Bob Smith at Univ Utah:
>
>Smith, R.B., Shuey, R.T., Freidline, R.O., Otis, R.M., and Alley, L.B.,
>1974, Yellowstone Hot Spot: New Magnetic and Seismic Evidence: Geology, v.
>2, n. 9, p. 451-455.
>

>At 9:49 PM -0700 10/15/06, Meg Justus wrote:
>>Does anyone have a good source on the history of the Yellowstone Hot
>>Spot?  Actually, not of the hot spot itself, but of how it got figured
>>out?  Especially when it became an accepted piece of knowledge?  And when
>>it was disseminated and how widely?
>>
>>I've checked what I've got, but I can't find anything on the subject.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Meg Justus
>

>--
>
>Randall Marrett
>Associate Professor
>
>Department of Geological Sciences
>Jackson School of Geosciences
>University of Texas at Austin
>1 University Station C1100
>Austin, Texas  78712-0254
>
>phone:   (512) 471-2113
>fax:      (512) 471-9425
>e-mail:  marrett at mail.utexas.edu
>
>web:      http://www.geo.utexas.edu/faculty/marrett/

Lisa A. Morgan                   U.S. Geological Survey
Research Geologist            Denver Federal Center,
                                             Box 25046, MS 966
lmorgan at usgs.gov            Denver, CO  80225-004
phone: 303-273-8646
fax:       303-273-8600