[Geysers] Norris, Oct. 14

Polly Panos pollypanos at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 19:10:53 PDT 2006

 Hello again!

   With Grotto in marathon, I felt safe leaving the Upper Geyser Basin Saturday afternoon/evening.  I spent an hour at Steamboat watching the minors from the mid-level platform.  I recorded 43% concerted and 40% south vent initiated.  The north vent had height that was similar to what I saw Sept. 3 (15-20 feet), but it was putting out less water this time.  I saw no vertical north jets.  I recorded 14 south vent jets.  One of them was well over the trees  (I would say over 30 feet) - the nicest one that I have seen in my 4 years of watching Steamboat minors in the spring and fall!  It was wide and high, very beautiful.  The cone-shaped vent near the mid-level platform was making a lot of noise - it was hard to hear the run-off from the south vent jets.
    Cistern Spring had visible overflow and was boiling vigorously - a change from what I saw Sept. 3.  The pool to the left of the spring by the boardwalk had water, as well as 2 pools to the right and in back of the spring.  (I don't remember seeing water in the pools to the right on Sept. 3, but perhaps I just didn't look for it.)

Also, a couple of additions to my previous report about the Upper Geyser Basin:
    At Grand on Friday the 13th, we had Turban at 1417, 1437, 1503 (A 26 m interval with waves on Grand.)  The next Turban was at 1523, with Grand's pool considerably lower than it had been at 1503.  Then the Turban spike at 1542 with Grand immediately behind.  (This was the eruption with Vent higher than the trees and higher than Grand at one point T1Q.)
    The 0902 Giant Hot Period on Saturday the 14th (d~9m) had one other difference than previous ones (besides Mastiff remaining at overflow for the duration).  Mastiff's depth charging after the hot period was dramatically increased in both duration and height from what we had seen the two previous days.

    I got a fortune cookie a couple of months ago that said that I would have "full contentment by summer's end."  My four days last week were a fitting end to the 2006 season!  My thanks to everyone!
Polly Panos
pollypanos at earthlink.net