[Geysers] Geyser report for May 26

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat May 27 05:32:05 PDT 2006

Since this is being re-sent on Saturday, May 27, when it is snowing a bit  in
West Y at 0630, this is likely to be too late for most people who expected to
 spend Memorial Day weekend here, but... the National Weather Service has
posted  a winter storm warning for Yellowstone and vicinity. Tomorrow
(Saturday's)  chance of precipitation has been posted as 100%, snow at the higher
elevations.  Also, before the storm begins to clear out on Monday night (not until
then!),  they say there could be as much as 20 inches of snow in places. Well...
we'll  see; but come prepared.

Today I was on Geyser Hill training naturalists from 1:30 to 4, so most of
the following is from the morning hours or via the radio.

The Grotto marathon that was ie yesterday morning at 0630 did not end until
around 0915 today, so a duration of well over 26 1/2 hours. Accordingly, the
Giant Complex was rather dead (though I never saw it in the afternoon).

Daisy was at 0820 and 1117 (2h 57m). I heard but failed to write down an
afternoon call.

Oblong was at 0833 and 1415 (5h 42m) and definitely did not have an  eruption
between those two times.

Grand was at 0547E and 1254 (7h 07m).

There was a Sawmill-Uncertain dual at 0836.

Castle had a minor at 0449E -- no question but that it did minor, based on
the continuous splashing through the morning -- but it didn't have the
succeeding major until around 1330 (when I was at the VC) -- so a minor interval  of
more than 8 1/2 hours.

Tilt is active and actually doing some very nice eruptions, splashing
vigorously up to about 4 feet. Today I saw two -- 0819 and 1213; I have no idea
whether that's a single, double or ?? interval.

Today's Plume intervals were 52, 58 --- 51, 50, and a double of 91(!)
minutes.

Lion produced a series of three eruptions during the morning hours.

Dome was active today. Following the initial (which might or might not have
been seen at 06xx) the intervals were in the range of 24 to 35 minutes.

Lynn had an Atomizer major at 1206, a few minutes before she nearly
encountered a grizzly between Artemisia and Morning Glory.

Firehole Lake Drive and Fountain Flats Drive were opened today. Driving out
around 0930, I/we "just" missed Great Fountain, which was probably between
0800  and 0830. Pink Cone and its surroundings were bone dry at 0940, and also at
 1630. Labial was doing its post-eruptive splashing at 0940.