[Geysers] Geyser report May 16

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue May 16 15:05:02 PDT 2006

Not a whole lot to report, actually. This was one of those days when
"everything" went off early, leaving little to anticipate.

Castle was at 07:13.

Grand at 07:30 and, get this, it was a T3Q. (Had 3 bursts previously been
seen this spring?)

Daisy at 08:03ie, and then at _about_ 11:05.

At 08:10, after Grotto Fountain had been boiling for several minutes,
Startling Geyser took off. A very nice eruption, duration about 3 1/2 minutes.
After the typical delay, Grotto Fountain, then Grotto (08:44) erupted. This was  a
normal eruption, as Grotto was off at 11:00 (and had been off for a fair
while). I didn't see the start of Grotto Fountain because I was over by  Giant.

I was over by Giant because it started a hot period at 08:38. The duration
was about 4 1/2 minutes only. Mastiff boiled up maybe 2 feet at the start of
the  action, but then was flat for most of the hot period... There was another
hot  period at 11:40ie. It was weaker than the earlier hot period except that
it (and  not the 08:38) was followed by some depth-charging in Mastiff.

The steam cloud at 08:53 was probably Lion.

It was at the time of the early hot period that I discovered that the sign
logs had not been re-positioned after Sunday's eruption, so accompanied by
Rebecca Roland, I got them back onto the platform at about 09:35.

That was when Beehive's Indicator was called (09:36ie). Beehive at  09:44.

Finally, Oblong was at 10:34 (ie steam cloud).

Mike Keller asked me about activity in the new thing at Biscuit Basin, as  he
did not see eruption from it last evening. It is active, from two vents, but
the bursting is much weaker (maybe 1 1/2 feet high). It also _might_ be
intermittent, with intervals of a few seconds. I saw the same sort of action at
both 07:00 and 13:30.

And I think that's it for the geysers. The Old Faithful Visitor Center is
now closed except for info at the Old Faithful window. The lobby was piled high
with packing boxes, YA people and vehicles running back and forth, and etc.
The  naturalists think they might, maybe, be working in the new, temporary
facility  starting this Friday. Some call it the OFVCS: Old Faithful Visitor
Center  Shack.