[Geysers] GOSA website

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Tue May 2 12:21:46 PDT 2006

Pat Snyder wrote:

>Yes, there's an glossary of terms on the GOSA site, which includes
>many acronyms.
>http://www.geyserstudy.org/glossary.htm
>I printed this out when I first started Gazing and found it helpful,
>along with Scott's book. There's more on the site that's useful too--
>look around! However, I just checked it and it seems shorter than it
>used to be--hmmm.
>I do remember something on the site that had a list of acronyms/terms
>but can't seem to find it...did it get lost during the various site
>revisions recently?
>Pat Snyder

I should probably let Ralph Taylor, GOSA President, or Don Might, the new webmaster respond, but since I have been doing a few things with the website, I'll toss in what little I know.

The loss of information occured before the various recent site revisions.  The files on the geyserstudy.org website had become corrupted such that the majority (in some cases all) of the text was lost.

I am most familiar with the logbook files.  The "monthly" files had become corrupted with lost and/or unreadable data.  Rather than replace the monthly files, I sent Don annual files, which he added to the geyserstudy.org website.  If you pull up the monthly files, for example the file for June 2003, you'll notice that it abruptly ends before "Plate" on June 1, 2003, even though the original file did contain all of the month of June.  The new website will contain only the annual file.  During the year I will periodically send Don an  updated file adding months to the year as I am able to enter the data.

Text files for the various geysers, the glossary, etc. also became corrupted and lost information.  The Grand file ended in the middle of a sentence.  Most of the files will have to be rewritten.  I'm certain Ralph and Don will welcome assistance with this project.

Lynn Stephens