[Geysers] acronyms, was Giant again 4/30/06

David Schwarz dschwarz at rice.edu
Mon May 1 17:15:03 PDT 2006

   GIP: The Giant Indicator Pool, usually a steaming hole in the ground
with water barely visible, located off the boardwalk to the right as one
walks from Giant to Grotto.  It was noticed during Giant's activity in
the late '80s (maybe earlier?) that the water level of the GIP is very
directly correlated with that of Mastiff, and hence with Giant hot
periods (during which Mastiff is usually either high or overflowing).
When Mastiff is high, water in the GIP is usually within a few inches of
the surface, and easily visible from the boardwalk.  Although no one is
usually looking at it when Giant starts, there are often signs
afterwards that the GIP has either erupted or overflowed, as indicated
by wet spots and scalded grass around the crater.

David Schwarz