[Geysers] Constrictions, bubbles, and pressure (RFK Part 2)

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 21 23:55:01 PST 2006

Further to my earlier posting, I have now realised where and why the
pressure drop occurs.  On side A of the tube, before the bubble
reaches the restriction, the water of the upper part of the column
fills the restriction.  This means that for the water above the
bubble a given volume occupies a greater length of the column as
compared with what would be the situation if there were everywhere a
uniform cross section.  When the top of the bubble passes through the
restriction, the length of the water column above it on side A
suffers a shortening of length.  Thus the pressure exerted on the top
of the bubble decreases significantly, this is transmitted by the air
in the bubble to the bottom of the bubble, and hence to the rest of
the water below the bubble, and the free surface in column B will
therefore drop noticeably.  Thus we need consider only the
quasi-static model I am describing, and dynamic effects which at
first I thought might be crucial are in fact secondary and probably
are unimportant in causing what is observed.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz