[Geysers] Mammoth area / (Hot Creek, CA)

caverns caverns at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 15:34:36 PDT 2006

I haven't seen the recent activity at Hot Creek, but encourage gazers
to get out there to take a look. From my experience, it takes an
experienced gazer to really figure out what's happening with respect
to geysers. We tend to notice things like fresh runoff channels, dead
grass, overflow changes, strange bubbles, etc. Mostly though, geyser
gazers tend to be patient; we sit and watch. Also, it's common for
non-geyser-gazer reporting to be quite different from the ground
truth. The Long Valley Observatory probably is staffed by a team of
competent geologists, but I have a feeling that they don't have the
geyser know-how as most on this listserv.

All of this makes me wonder what's really happening (or did happen) at
Hot Creek. Further, how about Little Hot Creek?

Thanks for sending the link to the video.

Alan

J. Alan Glennon
UCSB Geography