[Geysers] Geyser report June 21

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 15:22:31 PDT 2006

Happy first day of summer. The van tour that I thought I'd have was driven
by somebody else. That's fine.

Question: Who, and how often, and what (if any) relationship to Giant --
solo eruptions by Grotto Fountain?

Today upon arrival I directly headed out to Grotto-Giant. The following is
the interesting timeline:

0826 Giant hot period, duration 4m 43s. Quite a lot of water was  discharged,
but Mastiff was mostly flat throughout.
0929 Grotto Fountain (on the second Indicator Spring fill I saw). Duration
was 22 minutes. South Grotto Fountain played during the first 3 or 4 minutes of
 G.F., then it quit. Throughout the 22 minutes, Grotto and Rocket grumbled a
lot,  but no water was ever visible in either until the very end of G.F., when
there  were a few very small splashes in Rocket. Both fell very quiet when
G.F.  quit.
0942 (during Grotto Fountain), Oblong.
0947ie (during Grotto Fountain) Giant hot period. Duration was about 4
minutes probably, and again Mastiff was mostly flat. There was some vertical
surging in Giant, but nothing to get excited about.
(at this point, I left the area for a short while)
1106 first observed South Grotto Fountain, independent of anything else,
duration about 3 minutes. This was a _very_ strong eruption, some jets easily 15
feet high.
1113 South Grotto Fountain, weaker, duration about 1 minute.
1115 Startling, duration about 2 minutes
(maybe more events, but then I was over at Giant)
1136 Giant hot period, duration 3m 15s. This was much weaker (no Feather
Satellite) than the previous two hot periods. Steve Robinson arrived during  it.
1148 Grotto Fountain, I = 2h 21m, D = 26 minutes. This time, after much
sloshing:
1159 Grotto
1313 Giant hot period, duration a whopping 1m 38s, Feather and SW Vents  only
and little or no overflow from Mastiff, as called by Steve.

Other stuff:
Plume had intervals of 60, 56, 68, --, and 65 minutes.
Beehive erupted at 1125, for an interval of 27h 24m. Indicator of 14  minutes.
Castle had a minor at 1044. As we've been seeing with increasing frequency,
this minor had a long duration, nearly 11 minutes. A previous example produced
a  minor interval of about 11 1/2 hours.
Grand, was from 0645E to 1344, interval 6h 59m, T1Q.
Daisy was at 0820, 1134 (I = 3h 14m), and 1405ie (I ~ 2h 28m).
Finally, Riverside was 0714ie, then 1342, so I ~ 6 1/2 hours.

Miscellany:
Tardy cycles were in progress when I left. There had been at least two of
them, and Penta was just a bit below overflow (but apparently dropping) when I
left.
I did not see Old Faithful in eruption all day, but radio calls indicated
that it was active.
I barely missed the start of Great Fountain, which went at 0632.
I barely missed Labial, which clearly erupted while I was talking to Lynn  at
Great Fountain.
I got into a bad bison jam enroute out.

A nice day.