[Geysers] Geyser Report June 14 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 06:10:25 PDT 2006

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS
LISTSERV AND IS NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE.

A few years ago I met a woman at Artemisia who claimed that everything had
spirits--plants, animals, rocks, and geysers.  (She also claimed that
Artemisia's spirit liked her and she could communicate with it, that
Artemisia always erupted whenever she walked up there to eat lunch, but she
left a few hours later and Artemisia was still quietly overflowing.)
Although intellectually I know that geysers are and insensate collection of
rocks and hot water, I'm beginning to believe that some of them really do
have spirits.

For example, Great Fountain--it seems like it often waits until the second
half of the window to erupt when it's late at night and I want to get home
for a few hours of nighttime sleep.  I think Great Fountain's spirt must
have waited until the day after I posted my Great Fountain summary to show
Lynn that Great Fountain is, after all, a geyser and will do whatever it
wants, regardless of what it's done in the past.

Tuesday night the weather was nice while I was waiting for Great Fountain.
I had set the midpoint of the window at 12:30 am, so the window was 10:30 -
2:30.  I arrived shortly before 10:30 so I could start rolling the "near"
side of the window forward.  A family of 4 arrived just at 10:30.  When I
explained we still had at least 1 1/2 hours to wait, they replied they were
prepared to stay from 10:30 to 2:30 if necessary.  And they did.  Great
Fountain erupted at 00:24 (one of the nights it didn't wait until the second
half of the window).  Since the weather was nice and I had pleasant company,
I stayed for the duration, which was a weak 4-burst eruption.  Although I
was predicting 10 1/2 hours, I didn't want people arriving at 8 1/2 hours,
so I posted 9:30 to 1:30 as the prediction.

I planned to get out there at 9:30 to start rolling the near side of the
window forward, but took a little longer in the office than I had planned.
As I rounded the corner at 09:48, my stomach sank as I saw the big steam
cloud.  Even though it was a cool morning, I knew that cloud was too big to
be Botroydial.  Sure enough, Great Fountain decided to have the shortest
interval of the season and I missed it.  The prior short interval was 10h11m
on an eruption with a weak second, weak third, and weak fourth.  This
interval was something less than 9h20m, and possibly less than 9 hours since
the eruption ended at 10:16, and the nature of the pause between the first
burst I saw and the next burst told me the first burst I had seen was at
least the second burst.  Oh well, maybe Ralph's monitor got the start time
because the VC monitor apparently is not working.  Last night's eruption was
at 21:36, for a double interval of 21h12m.  I didn't stay for the duration.

Beehive also went shorter yesterday morning than people had expected.  Kitt
and the Hoppes came out to see Great Fountain, but since it had also erupted
earlier than expected, they arrived just as I had declared the eruption
finished as far as expending energy, changed the board, and was starting to
pull out of the parking lot.

Giant still has not erupted (6/15 6:50 am).

Visitor Comments:  Some of us were talking about how many of the visitors
this early in the season seem to be really "dedicated" to seeing eruptions
of the geysers.  I still have a lot of drive through the parking area
without even looking at the board at Great Fountain, plenty of people who
look at the board, and even with the half hour prediciton, decide that's too
long to wait.  But I've also had some memorable cases of people who were
dedicated to seeing Great Fountain this week.  One family was there for the
21:19 raining, steamy eruption on June 9.  They didn't get up quite early
enough on the morning of June 10 and arrived during the third or fourth
burst.  So the afternoon of June 10, they arrived at 6:30 pm (the opening of
the window).  Unfortunatly, that was one of the eruption where Great
Fountain waited until the second half of the window and didn't erupt until
22:09.  They had waited but there wasn't much light left by the time it
erupted.

On the morning of June 12 I had posted a prediction of 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.
When I arrived at 8:30 to start rolling the near side of the window forward,
there were two vehicles in the parking lot, one with a single man in it; the
other contained a family of 5.  The head of the family of 5 started talking
with me.  He commented that he had planned 3 days and 2 nights for his
family in the Park, and they really wanted to see Great Fountain.  It turned
out the 3 days were really a half day on day of arrival, one full day and a
half day on the day of departure.  He said he had discovered his plan wasn't
really a good plan after all because there was just too much to see.  I
explained that he could leave and do some other things for 1 1/2 hours and
then come back to check on Great Fountain.  They discussed it for a few
mintues, left, and then came right back because they REALLY wanted to see
Great Fountain.  After awhile I was still saying it won't erupt for awhile.
He had shown me his map of Yellowstone with some things underlined in pink
highlighter.  I told him he really did have time to go see Midway and
Biscuit Basin and maybe even Black Sand Basin, and said, "Be back at 10:45
and you'll be safe."  After discussing it with the other members of the
family for 10-15 minutes, this time when they left, they did not immediately
return.  Great Fountain went into overflow about 5 minutes after they left
and I was on tetherhooks hoping that Great Fountain didn't decide to do the
shortest overflow of the year and erupt before 10:45.  They returned
promptly at 10:45, Great Fountain erupted at 11:09, and both they and the
single man who had been there since sometime before I arrived at 8:30 stayed
through the entire eruption.

And then there was the family that shared the 00:24 6/14 eruption with me.
The father and son stayed out on the boardwalk/parking lot with me through
the entire eruption (the mother and daughter watched most of the first
burst, then went back to the car,) even though they had to drive back to
Island Park that "night".

Yesterday morning some people missed Great Fountain.  They had gone through
the parking lot about 9:15 or 9:30, saw that my pickup wasn't there, saw the
water running down the runoff channel but decided it must just be leftover
from the rain.  Their comment, "You weren't here so we dediced it wasn't
close to an eruption.  We left to come back later and then we missed it."
Unfortuntatly, my presence is not an indicator for Great Fountain.
Sometimes I leave to go do other things between the start of overflow and
the start of the eruption.  Sometimes I just don't go to Great Fountain at
all.  And sometimes I misjudge that geyser and miss the start because I
arrive too late.

Weather report:  Yesterday was wave after wave after wave of rain, with
little blue sky and sun between the waves.  As I was on my way back in the
morning from the Lower Basin, just as I hit Midway the high winds hit the
side of the pickup and the rain and then the hail started.  About two
minutes later a general alert "The National Weather Service is reporting
possibility of severe thunderstorms with high winds and possible hail over
the southern portion of the park.  10:57."  When I got back to the trailer,
there was hail piled against the side of the porch door.  We had another
hailstorm and last night there was sleet and snow mixed with rain.  All in
all a good day to stay in the office or watch geysers through the
windshield.

Lynn Stephens