[Geysers] Geyser report June 13

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 15:27:25 PDT 2006

I started today with an early jaunt up to Norris, where I found that  there
has indeed been a disturbance. I judge that it was fairly weak,  though.

In Porcelain Basin, Ledge was completely quiet. Guardian was roaring. By  its
evident wetness and fresh wash, Valentine might have erupted. On the floor
of the basin, Constant was active. Whirligig was below overflow, but the runoff
 area was wet and the pool was bubbling. Out on the flat were many (20+)
small  spouters ranging across the entire area from Pinwheel to Blue. Pinto was
bubbling; one spouter was active among the Lava Pool Complex; Arsenic was an
empty hole; Geezer was splashing 1-2 feet high. Near Porcelain Terrace, a very
noisy steam vent is at the side of Incline, and in that area are many small
spouters/geysers. Congress Pool was just below full, greenish and  bubbling.

In answer to David and Tara's query -- Dark Cavern was extremely quiet,  with
only a bit of gentle steam from it.

In Back Basin there was more fun. At least two small geysers (true geysers)
are active on the flat between Minute and Monarch. Palpitator was palpitating.
 Corporal was doing a bit of thumping as it filled. Veteran appeared to be in
 "perpetual" minor eruption. Vixen was active, but I saw no eruption higher
than  3 feet nor lasting longer than 5 seconds. Pearl was empty and acting at a
weak  fumarole. The new features across the walk from Pearl were empty and
noisy as  steam vents, as was the entire Double Bulger area. Porkchop was
splashing  constantly 1 to 3 feet high (best seen from the boardwalk around to the
west  side). The flat at Orby boasted several geysers, Orby being the largest
(bursts  to maybe 6 feet). Son of G D and Grandson of Green Dragon were
violently  splashing brown water, and Yellow Funnel was similar. I couldn't see Gray
Lakes  for the steam, but there was some rather large splashing going on out
there. Mud  Spring was muddy; Mystic was splashing 2 to 3 feet high from a low
level.  Tantalus Geyser area had several bubbling-splashing vents. And Echinus
was  overflowing. (P.S. The word is now out that Echinus has not erupted _at
all_  since December 2005.)

The three observations that convince me that this qualifies as a weak
disturbance are: Cistern was the prettiest feature at Norris (clear and green);
Steamboat was splashing clear water (mostly north vent only); and Emerald was
clear and emerald.

So it was on to the UGB for a while. Only there for 3 hours, so not much
here.

There was a Giant hot period at 0948 (d = 8m 45s), a bathtub at about 1050,
and a hot period at 1214 (d = 3m 25s and weak). Grotto Fountain started at
1001  (nobody called the start of Grotto, and I was at Grand), and Grotto quit
(without a Rocket major) at 1228.

Grand at 1017 was a T1C (T starting about 0.1 second before G first  actually
burst up).

Beehive was at 1140 after an Indicator of only 5 minutes. And by the way --
in the past few days, the "West Bubbler" has been active for as long as 7+
hours  before Beehive. So much for that "indicator."

Some of us discussed the eight flagpoles atop the Inn, and wondered what
flags might fly there. In looking through a book today, I find that the Inn
originally boasted eight flagpoles, one of which at times held a flag that read
"Upper Geyser Basin" and another whose flag said "Yellowstone Park Association"
 (that being the hotel company at that time). Let's see: USA plus three
states  plus these two equals six. Needs two more. Hmmm. Guesses?