[Geysers] Quick Norris Visit June 11-Vixen

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Sun Jun 11 22:39:14 PDT 2006

I drove up to Norris for the evening.  Names are hazy after these "dry"
years, but definitely saw Arsenic, and what could be Graceful in eruption.
Oddball holes in the ground in Porcelain Basin were spouting, perhaps some
water has come back to the area.

Near Ledge, the pool called "the palm pool" in the 90's was full.  Guardian
still in steam phase, and the thing next to Yellow Crown Crater (possibly
Crown Jewel?) splashing and surging.  I will have to reacquaint myself with
some of the lesser known features.  Back basin:  Root Pool boiling heavily,
Veteran major eruption observed, Yellow Funnel Spring looking like
disturbance era, nearly drained with muddy water eruptiing from the vent.
Big news to me was...

Vixen observed in a series!  Eruptions ranged from 10 seconds to 30 seconds,
with interval from drain to drain ranging from 8-12 minutes.  I didn't have
anything to write on, and relied on my stopwatch.  Those of you who know me
know I love this little geyser, and will definitely log some more time there
next week.

Go Giant. Go Ledge.
MA

M.A. Bellingham