[Geysers] Norris 6-3-06

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sun Jun 4 06:52:51 PDT 2006

If you are suffering from depression, don't go to Norris.  The basin is as
dead as I have ever seen it.  The tallest geyser in all of Porcelain Basin
is Constant and in the Back Basin it would have to be the minor play in
Steamboat.  What little I saw today (I did not visit the "Gap").

PORCELAIN BASIN:

Dormant geysers include Valentine, Ledge, Guardian (still in steady steam
phase), Dark Cavern, Fireball, Bear Den, Ebony, Little Whirligig, Big Blue,
and Splutter Pot.  You can now add Big Whirligig to this list.  The marker I
placed on it 2 weeks ago is still there.

Congress Pool is still in overflow.

Two of the "finger vents" at Ledge are being intermittent with intervals of
2-13 minutes and eruptions lasting 15-60 seconds.

One small geyser is intermittently active by Lava Pool.

One closed series to series interval on Constant Geyser was 91 minutes.
Both "series" had one eruption, each reaching about 15 feet and lasting
about 15 seconds.

The erupting vent on the far northern end of Porcelain Terrace is still
active.  I never saw the play stop in the 2 hours I was in view of it.  It
looked to be erupting 3-6 feet in height.

BACK BASIN

Steamboat has been steadily declining the past few weeks.  Today's minor
play was 31% concerted, with 52% of the play being "south function".  None
of the minor play was as tall as the trees behind it (when viewed from the
lower platform).  I only saw one time where there was near vertical play
from the north vent.

Echinus looks as it has all spring-full, in overflow, bubbling steadily in
the middle of its vent, and inactive.

Veteran Geyser, if active, is erupting on long intervals.

Two closed intervals on Corporal Geyser were 18 and 23 minutes.  Both
eruptions lasted about 9 minutes.

Pearl Geyser and the UNNG across the boardwalk from it were perpetually
spouting from 3-8 feet.

Vixen Geyser's basin was bone dry.

The new UNNG I saw in April and early May near Pebble Geyser was not seen
today.

Palpitator Spring was in eruption all morning.

Monarch Geyser was in steady overflow each time I passed by.

Minute Geyser was perpetually erupting from 1-2 feet each time I passed by.

The marker on "Forgotten Fumarole" I placed in March is still there.

MK