[Geysers] Giant 30 July 2006

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Jul 31 18:09:48 PDT 2006

Giant erupted at 02:39 on 30 July 2006.  The last water was noted at 04:13.  I
do not have notes on all the happenings that preceded the eruption.

The hot period followed a marathon eruption of Grotto.  My impression is that
it was quite strong.  Mastiff began erupting 2 minutes before Giant, and
reached a maximum height of around 50-70 feet.

Because of the darkness it was difficult to see how high the start of Giant's
eruption was.  I remember that all the water, as high up as I could see, was
coming down.  It completely drenched the observation platform.  Catfish also
erupted loudly with Giant.

Aesthetically, the eruption was unusual because the geyser alone was lit by
several large flashlights.  It stood out brightly against a black background.
Giant's appearance on both the 23 and 30 July eruptions was also unusual
because the steam billows stacked up on top of the geyser, but all were
pierced by a single water jet.  This shape seems unique to Giant.

The downdraft around Giant perhaps 10-20 minutes into the eruption is
interesting to watch.  It has a velocity of about 10-15 MPH.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu