[Geysers] Geyser report July 19 and 20

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Jul 20 13:50:18 PDT 2006

I never got around to posting a geyser log yesterday, July 19, not  that I
had much to say as I was only in for a short time. (An 83 degree day at  7,300
feet is hot.)

There was a very strong marathon recovery Giant hot period at 0742, d  = 9m
05s. But thereafter it was a series of weak things.

Grotto, too was weak. Yesterday into today its eruptions -- at least four  of
them -- all had durations of 1 hour or less. Yes.

Yesterday, Plume gave intervals of 67, 57, 68 and 77 minutes.

Beehive was at 1151 yesterday, Indicator of 13 minutes, I = 24h 41m

Today, July 20, I started the day by being the only witness to a huge
blue-bubble superburst at Great Fountain, at 0636. I'd been there for all of 30
seconds.

Castle had an odd minor -- or should we say minors -- today. It started at
0646, erupted for 3 or 4 minutes, stopped, restarted at 0658 for 5 or 6
minutes,  and stopped again.

Grand at 0751 was a T1Q.

Beehive at 1142 with Indicator of 8 minutes, I = 24h 20m.

I didn't write down a single Plume time today.

There were Giant hot periods at 0129 (said to have been excellent, though
obviously not good enough), then seen at 0729 (d < 4 min), 0847 (d = 2m 43s),
0959 (strong with lots of Mastiff and Cave to 1 or 2 feet, etc., d = 6m 15s
only, however), and 1056 (d ~ 1 1/2 min).

The Magpie Fire up Nez Perce Creek near Mary Mountain continues to burn. It
lays down at night, and then the smoke drifts down the valley into the Lower
Basin. Today it looked like a moderately dense fog at 0615, about as it was
yesterday.