[Geysers] past due report

Stephen J. Eide seide1 at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 16 21:25:34 PDT 2006

Greetings and Salutations,

Sorry I took so long for this note, it is the remainder of the things
seen during my trip June 30 to July 6.  Plume has already been reported
on often, but for most of my time in the part Plume was averaging just
under an hour between eruptions.  Little cubs appeared to be on
relatively short intervals of about 40 minutes although since I usually
caught it IE this average isn't all that accurate.

On 7-1 and 7-2 I watched Basin Spring for a few hours.  It is erupting,
basically a big boiling usually to about six feet but one eruption was
only 2-3 and one was about ten feet.  I had two closed intervals, on 7-1
of 39 minute and 7-2 of 47 minutes.  Durations were about 2 minutes.  I
might have gotten more information but while I was watching it I got so
comfortable that I fell asleep.  Three Crater was also erupting at about
15 minute intervals on both days.  I know Scott was lucky enough to see
it, but I saw nothing out of Middle Sister.

On 7-2 while watching Beehive the indicator was 1038, the West Bubbler
started at 1050, and Beehive at 1053.  That was the only eruption where
I saw the West Bubbler while I was in the part but the last few days I
spent alot of time at Fountain so I missed several Beehive eruptions.

On 7-2 Penta erupted 1656 ie, that time is likely close to the start
time as the overflow was just starting to run under the boardwalk when I
got there a few minutes later.

On 7-3 I decided to visit West Thumb and Norris so I missed Giant.
Timing is everything.  West Thumb was interesting, not very active but
interesting.  The upper table has lost even more water and energy.
Surging Spring, Collapsing pool, and Ledge spring are all quiet, several
feet below overflow and not boiling.  Perforated pool and Ephedra appear
to be less active and cooler.  Blue Funnel spring is still hot, and
there is a pool across the boardwalk that appears to be boiling.  Twin
Geysers are lower and cooler than usual and the steam vent across the
boardwalk from Twin does have steam, but it is very weak.  Abyss spring
appears to be cooler and is putting out much less water.  I think it is
begining to grow algae in the pool.  The spring above Abyss at the edge
of the old roadway (I can't remember its name right now) has no overflow
and no steam.  King Geyser appears to be very hot and I think it has
more overflow.  Black pool is about the same.  I did see two bubbling
vents were Skinny or Shinny Man should be but I didn't get to catch an
eruption.  I wonder if Hillside has been active, the interpretive ranger
for West Thumb didn't every know it was a geyser.  Everything down at
the shoreline is underwater.

Norris was just coming out of the seasonal disturbance on July 3.  I
talked to one of the rangers who said Pearl stopped being a steam vent
on 7-2 and it was in its usual eruption pattern on 7-3 as were the holes
across the boardwalk. Rubble has not erupted since mid-winter (per the
ranger).   The hole to the north of Porkchop was erupting about 1-2 feet
high all the time I looked at it.  For about three and an half hours I
watched Vixen and saw several eruptions, mostly weak in the 4-12 foot
range in an interesting pattern of weak minors followed by a normal
minor eruption.  The pattern was three to four weak eruptions of 4-7
feet every 4-8 minutes followed by a larger eruption (but still a minor)
of about 12 feet, then about 15 minutes of quiet, then the very small
eruptions started again.  I saw several small geysers near Orby and
Orby's crater was wet so it was active but I didn't get to see Orby.  I
only saw minor eruptions from Veteran.  Emerald pool was clear.

Pink Cone was having 20-21 hour intervals except when I waited for it,
then it was more like 21.5 hours (sorry, Lynn gave me the time for the
previous day but I didn't write it down)

Thats about it.

Stephen J. Eide