[Geysers] Feature names in general

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jul 16 16:23:29 PDT 2006

In New Zealand, one thing I have noticed is that Maori names for
geothermal surface features survive without modification better than
English names.  This is probably because people assume that a Maori
name has been given by Maori people and therefore one would be
sensitive to a possible cultural indiscretion by trying to alter it.
For that reason both Ted Lloyd and I have applied Maori names to sets
of features where no names appear already to exist for them.  In
recent years I have also taken the precaution of checking with an
appropriate respected Maori person to ensure that the mooted names
are acceptable.  The Maori names chosen have sometimes reflected some
aspect of the geographic setting, and as an example, two vents
aligned East-West within a craterlet in Frying Pan Lake were named
"Pouata" and "Mapouriki", meaning, respectively, "Dawn" and "Dusk".
Sometimes I have seen features named most inappropriately - for
example, in 1963, the New Zealand Tourist and Publicity Department
celebrated the opening of a new track at Waimangu by providing names
for many features.  I found one name, "The Devil's Ulcers",
particularly objectionable.  I have assiduously avoided using it and
I hope it never surfaces again except in a posting like this as a
source of derision.

I do not know what the situation would be in the U.S., but would
people consider using Native American names to be apppropriate?

Ron Keam
--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz