[Geysers] More About Nonsense

Laurie Brown lauriebr at netw.com
Sun Jul 9 20:48:07 PDT 2006

> \Well, while we're correcting geyser knowledge (why Echinus ain't what it
> used to be), I can no longer resist spouting off about the thing that bugs
> me.  The statement, "...thus robbing it of it's ability to build pressure
> to erupt," is also pure nonsense.   Geysers do not build up pressure
> before erupting.  In fact, the eruption is started by a pressure drop.
<snip>
> At any rate, the next time you hear that a geyser is building up pressure
> to erupt, just close you ears.  I'll be more likely to shout "NONSENSE,"
> but that's not such a good idea.
>
> Carlton Cross

Hey, I was just repeating what the ranger was telling a bunch of us standing
around at Echinus.

Could we all take up a collection to buy copies of T.Scott's book for the
rangers at the geyser basins?

Great explanation, BTW. Thanks!

Laurie, Dark Phoenix
lauriebr at netw.com
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; give him a freshly-charged
Electric Eel and chances are he won't bother you for anything ever again.
              -- Tanuki