[Geysers] Three geysers of note

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 8 17:25:07 PDT 2006

I would agree with Jeff's comment, judging from my own experience
with geysers in New Zealand.

Examples:

Rotomahana lake has no natural surface outflow.  Its water level is
therefore controlled by rainfall and evaporation and percolation.  As
its water level rises and falls in response to rainfall patterns
particular suites of geysers along the lake margin become active or
become dormant. and the suites are consistent - perhaps with some
delay in becoming re-established when there has been prolonged
dormancy.  (Such delay can be attributed to the rising water needing
to heat sufficiently the rock with which it is coming into contact.)

At Orakeikorako, the sinter-covered flat known as "Artists' Palette"
has of order 60 to 70 vents in it.  Many of these from time to time
become discharging springs and even geysers, and usually these active
features are grouped.  At any given time the water level varies from
place to place under the flat and with the progress of time the
higher portions move their locations.  I am not aware of any project
having been undertaken to study why this is so.  Sometimes almost the
whole flat has water discharging from the features, and at other
times the discharging features are very limited in extent.

Significant redistributions of heat flow have been apparent in
portions of New Zealand thermal areas, this is indicated by
vegetation becoming prolific or dying off in particular places.  I am
personally aware of this having happened at two places at Waimangu.
One very large area which supported very little vegetation on
"Rainbow Mountain" (Waiotapu thermal area) before the 1886 Tarawera
eruption is now well covered, and it is now hard to see the coloured
earth from which the feature received its name.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam
EMail r.keam at auckland.ac.nz