[Geysers] FYI - reason to avoid YNP in late July

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Wed Jan 25 11:59:50 PST 2006

The following is an article that appears in today's Billings Gazette.
I, for one, plan to avoid the Park in late July because I dislike the
noise that so many bikes create, assuming that many of them will travel
through the Park before and after the rally.  Sad that Cody is so
desperate for $$ that they are actually welcoming a gang with a long
history of criminal activity to the city.  And I'm terribly sorry if I
am encroaching on anyone else's curmudgeon status.  (c:)
Hell's Angels welcome, say Cody merchants
By RUFFIN PREVOST
Gazette Wyoming Bureau
CODY - After an announcement Monday by Gov. Dave Freudenthal of
increased funding for Park County law enforcement during a planned
Hell's Angels rally this summer in Cody, many local merchants want to
make sure the town is still perceived as biker-friendly.
Local law enforcement officials said the Hell's Angels 2006 World Run,
with 500 to 1,200 bikers, is scheduled for July 26-30 in Cody.
Some Cody business owners say that while the Hell's Angels may have a
reputation for lawlessness and outrageous behavior, most motorcyclists
are friendly, free-spending and an economic plus to the area.
"I understand law enforcement wanting to make sure they're prepared for
anything," said Brad Constantine, owner of the Beartooth Inn. "But
people shouldn't scrutinize every person that rides a motorcycle just
because of an image or namesake."
Constantine said he has seen a steady increase in the number of bikers
visiting Cody during the summer, with last year being the biggest yet.
"We have some of the most scenic riding and driving trips there are in
the country," he said. "And of course, that's going to attract specific
groups such as motorcyclists."
Constantine said that while he understands singling out Hell's Angels
for special scrutiny, most bikers are "typically the type of person
willing to spend money, shop, stay and dine in our community."
Cody Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Gene Bryan also touted the
economic benefit of bikers to the area.
"There are certain phrases in this world that you say and you
automatically have a perception, and I would put the Hell's Angels in
that category," said Bryan.
"But I would hope that all of us here don't rush to judgment. It's not a
group we would have invited, nor did we. But if they are in fact coming,
we want to do everything we can to assure people we'll make them feel
welcome."
Bryan said he was happy to "leave law enforcement to the professionals
and encourage our tourism industry to take good care of all our
visitors."
"I agree with those merchants," said Park County Sheriff Scott Steward.
"By no means do I think anyone who jumps on a Harley is a problem."
Steward said there was a stigma surrounding groups like the Hell's
Angels, and the best approach for law enforcement is to be as prepared
as possible to deal with any problems that might arise.
Steward said conflicts are likely to occur when any large groups gather.

"I think at this point, people shouldn't be alarmed," Steward said.
"We'll be very well prepared for them and make it as peaceful as
possible."
Freudenthal directed Attorney General Pat Crank to provide at least
$250,000 to Park County law enforcement agencies, as well as any needed
support from the Division of Criminal Investigation.
Most of that money is likely to be spent on extra police presence and
overtime hours, Steward said. Money will also be spent on additional
emergency service and first-response personnel.
"If you look at the road rallies and other events, the most successful
ones are the ones that have the largest law enforcement presence,"
Steward said. "We're not out there to harass anyone, just to take care
of issues that come up."
Copyright (c) The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises
<http://www.leeenterprises.com> .

Thanks,
Udo Freund