[Geysers] Geyser report from New Zealand

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jan 10 00:57:26 PST 2006

I should like to add some comments to those of Katherine.

I cannot recall how much I have said on this list about my concerns
that operating the lake level of Ohakuri Lake in too aggressive a
manner could well destablilise the Orakeikorako geothermal system and
lead to induced hydrothermal eruptions there - to the danger of
residents and visitors.  I was too late to be able to appeal about
the consent to Mighty River Power, but I was able to join existing
appeals, which related to monitoring, by two other interested
parties.  As a result Mighty River Power have agreed to fund
monitoring to see whether or not little hydrothermal eruptions are
already occurring under L. Ohakuri.  The idea is to set up an array
of hydrophones in the lake, and an array of geophones on land
adjacent to the lake, to look for the implosion effects of steam
bubbles produced by small hydrothermal eruption steam bubbles
condensing in the cold water of the lake.  I have believed for some
time that waves at Rotomahana previously attributed to seismic
activity are more likely to have been produced by unrecognised
under-water hydrothermal eruptions than by small shallow earthquakes,
and that such events might be occurring also at Lake Ohakuri.  The
reason for using both hydrophones and geophones is to be able to
distinguish between earthquakes and such eruptions, since the ratio
of the amplitudes of the hydrophone and geophone pulses would be
different for the two processes.  So that is the best I think that
can be done at present.  The interesting prospect is what should
happen if the investigation does indeed show that small hydrothermal
eruptions are occurring beneath Lake Ohakuri?  The risk should be
able to be calculated if there are sufficient of these putative
events occurring.  But even if no such events are identified it does
not mean that induced hydrothermal eruptions cannot occur - only that
the risk is not as high as feared.  Evidence exists of several
prehistoric hydrothermal eruptions having occurred at Orakeikorako
and this underlines the fact that almost all sizeable intense
hydrothermal systems in New Zealand are subject to such instabilities.

With regard to Paul Strasser's comment, Minginui geyser is submerged
beneath about five to eight metres of lake water.  Before it was
drowned in 1961 Minginui went through a time when it would erupt but
to heights of only about 2 or 3 metres.  Much more spectacular were
the eruptions of neighbouring Rahurahu Geyser (or "Terrific Geyser")
which in 1893 was the largest geyser in New Zealand at that time, and
a photograph of it in action can be seen in Ted Lloyd's bulletin on
Orakeikorako.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam