[Geysers] Bechler map names

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Sat Feb 25 19:09:20 PST 2006

>Do capitalized "names" on a map like this constitute real names, or are they
>taken as being merely descriptive?

I hope not to find anyone today calling a feature "Old Geyser" or "Large Hot
Spring."  These names are undescriptive, unimaginative, and unappealing.  By
contrast, "The Tank" is memorable, descriptive, and shows a little ingenuity.
I hope that naming conventions can allow enough flexibility to generate
interesting, memorable, and appropriate names.  I am uncomfortable allowing
dull names into the nomenclature simply because they were put on a map in
capital letters.  I am glad it was Giantess Geyser I saw erupting, not Crystal
Cauldron, Circe's Boudoir, or Arachne's Pewter Gravy Boat.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu