[Geysers] Bechler map names

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 09:47:51 PST 2006

Thoughts while passing a winter day (brrr -- 83 degrees here today), in
reference to the small portion of the 1872 Bechler map of the "Fourth Group" of
the Lower Geyser Basin. My query is (and the reason for sending this directly
to  Whittlesey, too): Do capitalized "names" on a map like this constitute real
 names, or are they taken as being merely descriptive?

Part of my reason for asking this is that there are many cases in
Whittlesey's _Nomenclature_ where something is listed as a name because of its
appearance on a map (such as by Peale or Weed or etc.).

On Bechler's map we have:
Old Geyser and Large Hot Spring. Large Hot Spring clearly is Old Bath Lake
(=Tank Spring = The Tank = Ranger Pool). Old Geyser would be one of those
spring  on the slope beyond The Tank (the name that I, ahem, personally prefer). If
I'd  been making the map and if these were _not_ intended as names, then I
would have  written them smaller and lower case.

On the map also are:
4 Sulphur Springs and 5 Minute Spouter. Are these numerical designations or
are they names? Do those mean "four sulphur springs" (purely descriptive),
"four  Sulphur Springs" (semi-name), or "4. Sulphur Springs" (map designation
number  for a named cluster of springs)? similarly, does the "5" of "5 Minute
Spouter"  translate as "Five Minute Spouter" or, again, is it a map designation
(though in  this case even just "Minute Spouter" comes across to me as a name
outright).

Whatever. Since I don't have it, I wonder what other "names" are on
Bechler's map.

Scott Bryan

(I still like Great Sky Blue Hot Spring, too.)