[Geysers] Pat Snyders ledge photo

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Feb 24 06:38:27 PST 2006

In a message dated 2/23/2006 8:04:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
riozafiro at comcast.net writes:

So, if  my memory is correct, that photo was taken either Aug. 12 or 13, more
likely  the 13th. So is it possible this is one of the last Ledge photos
before the  dormancy? That would be really very cool, especially now that I
appreciate  it.
Pat S.

I decided to send this to the list, because if Pat's guess as to the date  of
her photo (August 13, 1974) is correct, then this is very likely the LAST
(maybe next to last eruption) of Ledge before that seasons major, basin-wide
disturbance.

I have the complete log of Ledge eruptions for the entire (May 23 through
October 2, 1974) season in my article about Norris in Transactions volume VII.
On August 13, Ledge erupted at 1103. The next day, when the disturbance was
underway, Ledge was entered by George Algard into the logbook as "In heavy
steam phase (billowing)". Unfortunately, he did not record the time of that
observation, but I'm pretty sure it was morning. Up to that time, Ledge had been
averaging around 14 hours between eruptions. Therefore, I suspect that this
billowing steam was the aftermath of a "normal" eruption that started around
0100 on the 14th _or_ action that was triggered by the onset of the
disturbance.

that Ledge had untile it went through a slight recovery. In the following days
there was minor activity. The first decent eruption was on September 4
(somewhat  weak). Then it may have erupted the following night, had a minor eruption
on  September 13, probably had decent 1 or 2 decent eruptions on September
24-25,  and (at the the end of the season's records) "Finally... beautiful
eruption" on  October 2.

Fond memories of my only summer as a Norris naturalist.