[Geysers] Opal, the webcam and other things

srlb at eskimo.com srlb at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 21 11:57:42 PST 2006

<SNIP>

> As for the webcam, apparently for Homeland Security reasons
> two things must occur before it can be reconnected to the
> NPS server.  The Yellowstone webmaster must get a new
> password (easy), and a new camera must be purchased that
> will accept passwords (not so easy).  That's why we're
> stuck at Feb. 15 with a 1015 predictiion.  Bummer.
>
> Carolyn/OFVC

Since the NPS issued no press release on this and since they didn't
respond to my email about it, I contacted CNN, MSNBC, FOX, NY Times, and
Billings Gazette suggesting they check. Here's the response I received
from Mike Stark at the Gazette:

- - - - - - - - -

Hi Bob,

The Park Service has been having significant troubles with its web servers
over the last two months or so (affecting both their internet and intranet
services). I checked with folks at Yellowstone today. They said the
problems with the web cams in the park are due to more server troubles
that cropped up last week. They said the glitches have nothing to do with
Homeland Security nor have they received any directives from Homeland
Security to shut the cameras down.

Hope that helps clarify what's going on. No word yet on when the cams
might be back up and running.

-- Mike

Mike Stark
Reporter/The Billings Gazette