[Geysers] No-Indicator Beehive eruptions

Andrew Hafner geyserhound at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 2 17:12:40 PST 2006

Hello All,

  Beehive erupting without the Indicator (or at least starting with no
Indicator, only to have the Indicator begin playing partway through
Beehive's eruption) seems to be primarily a winter phenomenon in recent
years, although there was at least one occurrence this summer, which was
seen by George and Sue Schroeder. Also, the Indicator seems to have a
shorter lead time on Beehive in the winter than it does in the summer.
  From my experiences watching it during the winter months, Beehive
frequently seems to be on a "hair trigger," with longish intervals and high
water levels in the system, including the west bubbler and the Second (or
"Close to cone") Indicator. I have watched  Beehive give frequent, heavy,
massive, voluminous, "Herb Warren" type surges for some time prior to an
eruption. On occasion, one of these splashes will be heavy enough to touch
it off. This results in a "no Indicator" eruption.
The "Second Indicator" also seems to have been mostly a winter phenomenon in
recent years. I have watched it fill and overflow with light bubbling, and
it is then that it may begin to erupt. I have also seen it start and stop
numerous times before finally erupting continuously. Whether it begins to
erupt continuously immediately or after several attempts, the "Second
Indicator" will usually be joined by the main Indicator after some period of
time. Once Beehive's eruption is underway, the Second Indicator's eruption
becomes more forceful, ejecting a thin jet of water to the height of
Beehive's cone.
  Having some experience with watching geysers in the winter, I thought I'd
share what I know and remember.

Andrew Hafner