[Geysers] Penta (29 Aug) & another 3 burst Grand (30 August 2006)! (Schwarz)

MaryBeth Schwarz mbschwar at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 12:51:58 PDT 2006

     The 3-burst Grand at 1138 on 29 August was gorgeous, as Scott said.
Afterwards folks were hoping for an eruption of Penta with the water levels
high in the Sawmill group.  At 1222 the Top Vent began erupting several
feet, but I noticed that the lower vents were not bubbling and beginning to
erupt thoguh they were overflowing.  That was because Sawmill started just
after the Top Vent at 1222 and it became a Sawmill cycle.

     While I waited for the evening Grand (29 August), Cynthia and Bob
Barwin sat at Penta because Tardy had started about 1754 and the water
levels were very high with good convection in the lower vents of Penta.
Oval got very high with huge sloshing from side to side.  When Oval's
sloshing stopped, the water level in Penta's lower vents rose as usual.
Finally there were more bubbles in the lower vents and the Top Vent of Penta
started at 1955 followed by the lower vents.  The sun had set, but the
clouds were pink and there was still light to see the eruption.  Churn was
high and overflowing and may have erupted after 2100 when it became dark and
gazers left the area.

     This morning Cynthia Barwin called Grand at 0830.  When I arrived, the
first burst was ending.  The second burst was very nice but a bit long in
duration.  After the second burst ended, we were surprised to see water left
in the pool, and there was a lovely third burst that was smaller than the
first and second ones.   The Sawmill group was rising from a Deep Drain.

     Grotto is in another long eruption today.

     A front is coming through today with a strong wind.

     Mary Beth