[Geysers] A few words on cams

Udo Freund gosastore at qnet.com
Sat Aug 26 22:57:19 PDT 2006

I'd like to pass along some info from the YNP Webmaster, Tom Cawley.
Feel free to pass it on to those in the Park without access to the
listserve.

And if you are aware of this already, just hit the delete key.

First, the current webcam is still in test and will have its view
adjusted in the future.  It needs a shim to become level and raised to
get the top of a tall OF eruption.  Hopefully it will be turned more to
the left also.  Not sure exactly when this will happen, but the view
will definitely change, so I suggest we be patient and stop complaining.

NPS has met with Canon about a pan, tilt, zoom cam that may soon be
installed next to the current one.  Staff at the Temporary Visitor
Center will control it.  As I understand this, it will be programmed to
zoom in to a preset view of an erupting geyser, which would be triggered
by staff (obviously when they have time to do so) or volunteers in the
building during off hours.

When the new OFVIC opens and the TVC is removed, the current wiring will
be removed and the cams must be relocated (or replaced), which should
occur in 2008 or '09.

Udo

P.S.  Personally I prefer reports of any eruptions, on site or remote,
rather than no report at all.  I'm thoroughly enjoying the current
discussions here too.  Exchange of ideas is not a bad thing, so please
keep them flowing.

The 44-page August SPUT will probably be mailed out in early September.
We appreciate your patience.