[Geysers] Webcam stuff

srlb at eskimo.com srlb at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 25 21:21:06 PDT 2006

> More quick note to answer this and I am leaving this discussion as I
> believe it is over..
>
>> 3. The times I have seen reported have been close to correct but not
>> quite correct. Remember folks there is a delay from when something
>> occurs in the basin until it arrives on your screen at home. I did a
>> little test recently it takes at least 45 seconds to as much as 4
>> minutes for the web cam to catch up with what has occurred.
>> Furthermore, the web cam time stamp is also incorrect it seems to be
>> off somewhere between 45 seconds to 1 min. 15 sec.
>>

>> Try watching
>> http://64.241.25.110/yell/webcams/oldfaith2.jpg
>>
>> You'll get better results. It seems to update
>> about once every 25 seconds, and I've seldom
>> noted any significant delay in its transmission.
>>
>> Now, the time stamp my be off a bit from National
>> Standard, but so what? Please give examples of
>> real historical or scientific harm that an error
>> of even minutes in the reported start time of an
>> eruption is likely to cause.

I can't help but note that you failed to address this issue.

> Even though the site may update every 25 seconds you need to remember
> that there is a transmission time from the camera to the visitor
> center. Then from the visitor center to Mammoth (where the web-master
> is) the once again from Mammoth to their ISP and then to your isp to
> your computer.

So what? Is it really your opinion that students of history and/or science
(now or in the future) are so stupid as to not understand the limitations
of webcam based reports?

Let me also pose the following: Which is "better" data: a report from an
on-site observer claiming to have seen something, claiming to have an
accurate clock, and claiming to have correctly read and recorded that
information; or a webcam based report supported by the inclusion of a
date/time stamped webcam frame?

> When I did my test I was literally sitting on the
> benches in front of Old Faithful connected to the internet on my
> laptop via my cellphone. I typically get bandwidth somewhere between
> dsl and dial-up speeds in the OF area. So that would be fast enough
> for updates. Just reminding you that just because you do not see the
> delay does not mean that one does not exist.

Again, so what? How does this impact the usefulness of webcam based reports?

The NPS has given the geyser gazing community a new tool, even though they
may not have intended to do so. That tool, like any tool, has limitations;
we on the listserv are now in the process of trying to understand those,
and to determine the best way to use this tool.

Like any new tool, those with a vested interest in the old technology
(on-site geyser gazing) may initially frown on it (remote geyser gazing);
but they'll either eventually accept it (as the telescope was accepted)
because of its utility, or be swept into the ash can of history.

I have a wonderful story from my teaching days about "creative fish
grabbing", which makes the point by analogy; but I won't burden the group
with its telling unless someone asks.

Bob