[Geysers] River Group August 25

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Aug 25 12:08:48 PDT 2006

I made a quick trip into the River Group and Pocket Basin Mud Pots this
morning.

UNNG-RVG-4 is active, though its intervals are long -- greater than 2 hours
-- and it might do little more than overflow.

Pocket Basin Geyser appears to be dormant. It is undergoing its
intermittent, bubbling overflows, but the higher formations were bone dry and  the
adjacent spring never stopped vigorous bubbling.

Just south of the largest pool in the south area is a small geyser. I saw
one interval (start to start) of about 14 1/2 minutes and one timed duration of
4m 26s. Some of the splashes reached 4 feet high although most were less than
2  feet high. Nearby was another geyser, erupting from a fracture within an
extensive bacterial flat; it had durations and intervals of around 30 seconds
and a height of maybe 6 inches.

Armored Spring was undergoing intermittent boiling along the edge near its
outlet.

"Dark Pool" gave me one interval of 30 minutes. Both eruptions lasted  around
30 seconds. The first eruption consisted of little more than vigorous
boiling, but the second eruption included several bursts about 4 feet  high.

Brain Geyser is active, though I have no interval. Near it was a little
spouter that could be called "Tiny" if that name wasn't already in use. The
splashing was up to about 2 inches high and constant, but the water level varied
from well below overflow to (for its size) heavy overflow. The vent is about 1
inch across within a tiny, beaded cone.

The mud pots are hardly worth a visit. I cannot remember ever before seeing
the mud cone areas (Microcosm Basin) entirely dry -- lots of hissing but no
fluid mud anywhere. Up above, a couple of the bigger mud pots are active but
nothing was spectacular. The pot at the far north, which sometimes acts as the
"vertically gifted mud geyser" was all but dry.