[Geysers] What geyser is this?

Udo Freund gosastore at qnet.com
Sat Aug 19 17:06:15 PDT 2006

Kevin,

My best guess is that's Pump having a major burst.  If you look
carefully to the right above it, I believe we see the new Aurum corral
as a bit of gray.  Aurum lines up closer to Giantess from this angle.
Check out the link that shows the viewing angles from a satellite image:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/tours/livecams/oldfaithful/satellitecameralocation.jpg

Several things are still under discussion.  One is whether or not to
include people in the foreground.  So far the concensus is yes.
Personally, I'd like to see it turned a bit more to the left to be able
to view Grand steam clouds.  Grand would be hidden, but water should be
visible over the tree tops IF the timing of an image capture coincided
with a big burst.  Chances are pretty slim for that happening, but not
impossible.  It would sure be awesome if it did!

Comments, such as your viewing angle preference, may be sent to Tom
Cawley, the YNP Webmaster at this email addy: yell_webcoordinator at nps.gov

It is SO very cool to see beyond OF.  Hat's off to NPS for making this
happen.

Udo