[Geysers] Another Grotto....

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Fri Aug 11 21:32:30 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/10/2006 6:01 PM Mountain Daylight Time, TSBryan at aol.com
writes:

 I spent most of my day in the Lower Basin, and here is something that I'd
like input on if possible-- I recall that somebody reported similar activity
a month of two ago and would appreciate a repeat of that recollection.

I went out to Narcissus. At approximately 1200, it was about 6 inches below
overflow. Saying "Oh, well," I went on down to Underhill Geyser. After
finding it about as before (durations longer than the intervals, one
interval of 5 1/2 minutes), I returned to Narcissus. And there was water --
a LOT of it -- flowing down both runoff channels. But the water was
still/again fully 6 inches below overflow. At 1229 the water very abruptly
rose, poured a great volume of water over all outflow areas, pulsed
vigorously and splashed as high as 2 feet. It did this for about 2 minutes.
I've never seen Narcissus do anything so vigorous without an eruption, so I
entered the time in my notebook, as 1229. But then it stopped, and the water
dropped down, you guessed it, about 6 inches. I waited. At 1308 the same
event recurred. No eruption.

This is completely "aberrant" behavior in my experience. Does it sound
simiar to anybody?

Scott Bryan

I think I was the person who reported something similar.  On Monday 3 July
Dick Powell and I were at Narcissus doing the weekly data download at about
0830.  We noted an eruption of Labial at 0832ie, and my notes show Narcissus
in "variable overflow" from about 0830 to 0848 when there was a big surge
that put a considerable amount of water down the runoff channels, but in did
not result in an eruption.  Within two minutes the water level was eight
inches or so below overflow.  We left at that point, but the data logger
shows an eruption at 1021.  The overflow surge that we saw registered also,
at 0851 (remember the logger has a one minute resolution, and that the
sensor is about five meters downstream).

I recall discussing this with Scott a few days later since it was outside of
my experience.

Ralph Taylor