[Geysers] Any word on Splendid?

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sat Aug 5 12:30:58 PDT 2006

Splendid has shown no inclination to want to erupt.  On one day in late July
I saw the side boiler (a separate vent within the Main Vent of Splendid -
trust me on this) boil vigorously for about 10 minutes approximately 50-60
minutes after the previous Daisy.  This used to be a prime time for Splendid
itself to get agitated.  But nary a burble from the real main vent.  And the
Side Boiler itself has never been considered a positive sign for much of
anything.

IMO, as long as Daisy's intervals remain in the 2hr15m - 3hr15m range
Splendid won't erupt.  On every prior period of Splendid activity of which
I'm familiar the energy in the group was overall much greater.  In the late
70s, Daisy's intervals were 75-80 min, in 1997 they were in the 85-90 range
(except before Splendid began a series, when Daisy's intervals would drop to
the low 80s.)  I don't recall offhand Daisy's specific intervals in 1985-86,
but they were well under 2 hours.

More IMO, the Daisy group is quite fond of earthquake swarms.  Not merely a
single big temblor, but bunches of little ones that rattle the dishes a few
times an hour.  That tends to get things interesting in the group.

Can Daisy suddenly have shorter intervals and Splendid begin erupting?  I
really don't think so, without an outside force intervening.  Frankly, I was
hoping that Giant's superlative year would have some effect on the Daisy
group.  But so far, nothing.  Maybe somebody could analyze Daisy's intervals
immediately before and after recent Giant eruptions and compare them to the
average for the season.

(Hoping to be proved wrong tomorrow!)

Paul Strasser

  _____