[Geysers] River Group

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Wed Aug 2 19:03:52 PDT 2006

>This is almost beyond question "Dark Pool" behaving very much as it did a
>few years ago. Thanks for the info.

Which feature is "Dark Pool?"

I ask because there is another pool, very dark in color, immediately
downstream from Brain Geyser.  Its dimensions are about 3 feet by 5 feet,
hence the inromal name "Three by Five Pool."  It, too, pours runoff over a
little waterfall into the river.  I did not see this pool erupt.

The pool we saw erupt recently is blue, not black or dark in any way.  It is
upstream from Brain Geyser.  It is also much larger, perhaps 12 feet by 6,
with a very irregular border (Three by Five Pool is oval and has smooth
edges).

Both the blue pool and the dark pool have erupted.  The dark pool erupted for
me and Michael Goldberg in 2000.  The blue pool erupted for me and dad in 1997
and for me again in 2004.

The features, in order starting at Fortress Geyser and moving downstream, are:
1) Fortress Geyser, 2) Armored Spring, 3) Unnamed blue pool, 4) Brain Geyser,
5) Three by Five Pool (dark in color, and perhaps this is Scott's "Dark
Pool").

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu