[Geysers] Mastiff.

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Mon Apr 24 18:17:16 PDT 2006

I have been watching Giant closely since 1987 and have never seen a full
pool major eruption from it without Giant.  The Mother's Day eruption of
1999 was close-Mastiff erupted to about 30 feet then stopped, but after
about a 3 minute pause it resumed and Giant erupted.

In August of 1988 I witnessed an episode in Mastiff where over an hour it
erupted from the front and back vents every 2-8 minutes to a height of 5 to
20 feet from a low pool level with enough overflow to run off the platform.
At the time I thought it was very odd.  When the area has been on "Mastiff
Function" in recent years the activity has been similar.

The "isolated Mastiff eruptions of the 1890's" are debatable at best and
sound similar to what has been seen in 1988, 1997, and 2006.  Between 1896
and 1950 there is NO MENTION by any observer that Mastiff ever erupted.
This includes gazers like Wink Martindale, Clyde Max Bauer, George Marler,
and others that would surely have said something if it began erupting as
tall as the cone or more.  The tallest reported activity in this time came
from Marler in the early 1940's when he saw one "eruption" of Mastiff to a
height of 4 feet.

To the best of my knowledge the eruption on 4/22 is the first full pool
major eruption of Mastiff without an eruption from Giant.

MK