[Geysers] Geyser Report - 4/22/06 - Strangest Hot Period Ever!!

Matthew McLean fromyellowstonewithlove at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 17:53:26 PDT 2006

Hello all,

Couple of things of note happening today:

Beehive erupted at 1616.  Lots of big splashes in the hour and a half
leading up to it.  Between 1515 and 1520 the bubbler behind the cone
started.  The indicator started at 1601.  The last reported eruption was
yesterday morning.

Dome active again.

West Triplet and Rift seen ie at 1630.

Giant . . . interesting stuff.

Many people sat here all day and should be able to embellish on my report.
The Grotto Marathon ended shortly before 7 this morning (others will be able
to report exact times).  Throughout the day water in the system was getting
higher and higher until you could see water sitting in Mastiff between
bathtubs.  Shortly after 1700 Feather and Feather Satellite started and
Mastiff dropped!  Bijou joined in and, for 11 minutes or so, nothing but
Feather, Feather Satellite, and Bijou were erupting.  Eventually Mastiff
rose and Bijou stopped again.  Very quickly Mastiff surged to the height of
the cone.  Within seconds Mastiff was in full eruption!!  My estimate might
be bad but it was 2 to 3 times the height of the cone.  Every body thought
that this was it!! (By this time Rust, Posthole, and the Southwest Vents had
joined in) After a couple of minutes everything on the platform stopped . .
. ?  After about 3 minutes Mastiff refilled and started surged again to a
few feet - feather eventually restarted.  But soon Bijou restarted and the
hot period came to an end - no eruption :(  For the duration of the "Hot
Period"  Giant only showed minor vertical surging a couple of times.  This
will forever be known as the "Opening Day Weekend Debacle of 2006".

As I said before, others will elaborate on this with specific times and
other observations.

Take care,

Matthew