[Geysers] Rental bicycles.

Anglgrlsnt at aol.com Anglgrlsnt at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 17:33:08 PDT 2006

I think the proposed or suggested penalties are the least that Xanterra
should be placing on bike rentals.  I can just see the number of young teen males
out off trail, etc, etc.  We would have to hope there would be some "teeth" to
any fine or penalty that could have immediate enforcement.  Also what is not
specified is if there is a limit to the number of bikes rented at any given
time. There usually has not been a need to specifically control the number of
bike as the greatest number we've seen we at the "Great Labor Day" Fan and Mortar
eruption (about 50 at once at the Mortar Bridge).  Proper road etiquette is
usually (mostly) followed by gazers and the bike tours that come through the
Old Faithful area but with "too" many added bikes I'd fear for pedestrian safety
(especially the loose herds of children under 4 years old).  Those of us
going on the bike path for several years know of the perils of "deer in headlights
children AND adults" but novice riders may be relatively oblivious to this
"hazard."  I hope this plan for rental is very well (nothing is ever thoroughly
thought out (it can't be) thought out and that input from the rangers can be
entered and considered.  I don't expect a rangers and gazers only bike use but
many perils must be considered.
                         Rich Glasser (geyser8 at aol.com)