[Geysers] Rental bicycles.

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 23:35:36 PDT 2006

Re bike rentals.

I hope Xanterra (and the NPS) make a bullet-proof rental agreement.
Something that basically states "by signing this agreement I claim that I
know all NPS park service regulations.  I know that I cannot ride, walk, or
carry a bicycle on any boardwalk in the park, including but not limited to:
The boardwalk beyond Castle, [etc.]  Any breach of park rules makes me
susceptible to a $250 fine for each bicycle disobeying the rules."  I will
have zero sympathy for any bike renter at Grand, Oblong, Plume, etc. even if
they're "just walking the bike."   They'll warrant an instant call to the
local constables.

What happens if the person gets a flat at Midway?   What about liability if
they bike beyond Morning Glory and take a tumble into that big hole in the
middle of the path below the Artemisia hill?

I should have been a lawyer.

I don't mind the concept of bike rentals; on some reflection I don't think
the Snowlodge is the right locale because you must cross busy roads and
parking lots to get to any bike trail.  The Lodge makes more sense, I
suppose.  I'd be quite surprised if they have any sort of "special weekly
rate."  There really aren't a lot of places you can reasonably ride a bike
in/around the OF area.  Quick jaunts down to Morning Glory and back are the
most likely thing.  Will the Snowlodge provide locks for the rental bikes?
If not, would a family calmly park their unlocked rental bike and Castle to
go out to Grand?  I wouldn't, especially if there's a hefty deposit on each
bike.

Paul S.