[Geysers] Early YNP engravers

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 15:53:16 PDT 2006

This will probably be my last posting about this matter -- the engravers,  in
this case, not the engravings themselves. I've been doing considerable
searching both online and at the Ranco Mirage Public Library, which has an
excellent art history section in reserve. Others asked that I pass along  anything I
learn, so here it is...

The guy who did the illustration of the huge Crested Pool with Castle
Geyser's cone in the background is still an unknown -- not a hint of the name  "T.
Hildebrand" in anything. Should anybody find anything, somewhere...  please.

The guy who did the exaggerated Grotto Geyser (which he called "The Cave
Geyser"), an illustration that with essentially no modifications appeared in a
number of later works, was Edouard Riou (1838-1900). In his time, Riou was
extremely famous, and he was the illustrator of the first editions of such works
as Jules Verne's _20,000 Leagues Under the Sea_, _Around the World in 80
Days_,  _Journey to the Center of the Earth_, and more. And he did extensive
travel-based art. The Yellowstone engravings probably -- only probably --
appeared in an edition of the French journal _Le Monde Illustre_ (which went  through
hundreds of issues and might(?) still exist); I note, however, that my
initial online source for this image (which was being sold on E-bay) cited it as
coming from a "French travel publication" that was not named. Anyhow, so Riou
is  pretty well pinned down.

Last is the image that shows a little tiny man running away from an  erupting
Giant Geyser, waving his arms -- is he running in fright or trying to
attract the attention of others? It was done by one Harry Fenn. There is  curiosity
here. The image appeared in _Picturesque America, or the Land We Live  In_,
which is listed under the name of William Cullen Bryant. However, according  to
_Who Was Who in American Art_ (which I managed to find an old edition  of)
_Picturesque America..._ was Fenn's and served as America's "first  ever gift
book." So maybe Bryant was just the editor -- possible, since he was a  newspaper
man by primary profession. Anyhow... Fenn was born in England in 1845,  first
came to the USA in 1864, spent about 6 years here, returned briefly to
Italy, came back in 1870 and worked on the images for _Picturesque America_. and
etc. etc. back to Europe, similar books over there, art featured at the
Columbian Exposition (Chicago, 1893), stayed in the USA until he died on this
year's YNP opening date, April 21, 1911.

Searching Google for Bryant and the publication name, I found a
good-resolution version of the color original of the Giant image -- wider than  what I
posted the other day, it includes Oblong's steam cloud in the background  right.

OK, so I lack (and sure would like to have) any info about T.  Hildebrand.