[Geysers] Anotehr 1872 image

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 16:57:43 PDT 2006

Below is another engraving from William Cullen Bryant's "Picturesque
America..." Rather curious, is it not? It is titled The Geyser", but I believe  that
it does NOT purport to show a Yellowstone geyser. To me it appears to be
within a limestone cavern and, indeed, three of the four observers appear to be
holding lanterns that illuminate "the geyser."

the questions: Might anybody have a copy of Bryant's book, and could thus
better identify this image? Might anybody know of a cavern that contains a
formation (at least sort of) like this?

Scott Bryan (not in any way related to W. C. Bryant)