[Geysers] Very late Trip Report, July 6 through July 8 - Ken Reeves

Ken Reeves kreeves at qwest.net
Wed Sep 7 21:24:01 PDT 2005

I don't think this ever went through due to some problems on my end,
hopefully they have been resolved.  I apologize for the lateness of this.
--------------------------------

It was a short amount of time spent in the basins this year since we
spent quite a bit of time in other areas of Yellowstone.  Since our trip
was in July this year, it was nice to meet some new gazers.  I apologize
for not spending too much time formally introducing ourselves, but it
seems we were always running.

Most of the major items were covered by others, so I'll embellish a
little on what we did see.

First stop was Norris on July 6th.  In Porcelain basin, I saw a single
eruption of Constant geyser (10:48), and two eruptions of a small geyser
just north of Colloidal Pool at 10:11 and 10:22.  I wasn't taking
detailed notes at this time, but the duration first eruption was on the
order of 1 minute and the second eruption was on the order of 5
minutes.  I've spent very little time at Norris, so I don't know if this
is a new or ephemeral feature, but I couldn't identify it in Scott
Bryan's book.

Monarch Crater we overflowing and bubbling pretty good.

Corporal was making a lot of commotion and thumping with collapsing
bubbles, but the "eruption" was a pretty small splash.

At Artist Paintpots, the mud was very thick and the best I've seen it so
far (which is only a total of 3 times).  Several people, myself
included, got slightly splattered.

In the river group, the mud pots were mostly dry with only a few areas
bubbling.  Mound put out a few splashes, but we didn't spend much time
there due to a combination of time constraints and deer flies? (if
that's what they were, they never bit us, but they were thick).  Of
course, we saw Fountain erupting from there!

By the time we got to the Fountain group, not much was happening except
for Clepsydra.  Red Spouter still had water, but the paint pots were
pretty low.  Meanwhile, Great Fountain was erupting!

We got to Great Fountain to catch the end of it's eruption, but I did
get 1/2 hour of Botryoidal data.  This included my first observed
Botryoidal and A0 dual (I plan on writing a short article for the Sput
on Botryoidal).
In the Upper Geyser Basin, there's not too much to add.  All Plume
eruptions I observed were 4 burst.  All observed Jewel eruptions were 3
or 4 burst, many with the last burst being pretty pitiful (I considered
these as half bursts).  It was nice to see Plume and Little Anemone
erupting again.  I did observe one dual Little/Big Anemone (Big erupted
while Little was in eruption).  Also, the triple Beehive/Indicator/Old
Faithful on July 8th was the highlight of our trip.

In Black Sand Basin, Spouter was empty and looked like it has been for
quite a while, causing Opalescence to be very vivid and much less
"opalescency" than normal.

In Midway basin, Opal was empty and also looked like it had been for
quite a while.

Finally, I think my wife, Renee', is catching the bug because when
"River Pause and Splashing in Main Vent" was called out, she was heading
down the path so fast that I could barely keep up with her!

Non geyser comments, we saw three bear between Mammoth and Tower, and
three wolf in Hayden Valley.  The focus of out trip this year was
waterfalls, and we saw at least 21 falls include Terraced Falls along
with Pothole, Diamond, Humpback, and Cleft Cascades.  I strongly
recommend this hike for a very unique waterfall in an out of the way
area. Other out of the way falls included Osprey falls and Little Gibbon
falls.

That's all for now, and I hope to see many of you next summer.

Ken and Renee' Reeves