[Geysers] Re: California Earthquakes

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Sep 2 16:16:37 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/1/2005 10:54:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
ksleany at cox.net writes:

I have been watching all the small to moderate earthquakes  south of the
Salton Sea the last few days.  Does this look like a slow  adjustment or a warning
that something big may be on the  way?

This activity, which has included several quakes of magnitudes greater than
4, has occurred on the Brawley Seismic Zone that is noted for numerous
episodes  of such swarms. This zone serves as a connection between the south end of
the  San Andreas Fault and the north end of the Imperial Fault and, in fact,
lies  above a spreading zone. The largest of the quakes occurred near Obsidian
Butte,  at the northeast end of the zone and, therefore, within a handful of
miles of  the Nilan-area mud pots. I suppose there could be some changes among
them, but  the liklihood of this leading to a major quake (God forbit, after
New Orleans)  is very remote.